The only program of its kind in Southern California, Junior Blind’s Student Transition & Enrichment Program (STEP) is designed to help teens and young adults identify areas of career interest and successfully transition to college or the workforce. In addition to learning skills for independent living, students develop work-readiness skills through individualized instruction, group seminars and internships opportunities that are matched to their interests, abilities and goals.
Who We Serve
The Student Transition & Enrichment Program serves young adults, ages 16-22, who are blind or visually impaired and seeking advancement in their careers or education.
Highly-experienced STEP educators work with community employers, professionals and academics to provide students with hands-on training, preparation and support.
- Career and college exploration and research
- On-site college campus tours and meetings with access counselors
- Resume writing, interviewing and interpersonal skills development
- Real-world work experience through internship opportunities that reflect the student’s strengths, interests and career goals
- Braille-Low Vision Literacy instruction
- Orientation and Mobility instruction to learn how to travel safely, including independent travel to and from internships sites
- Independent living skills instruction to support students’ self-care needs
- Assistive technology training to help students become proficient at navigating the Internet, using email and completing school and work assignments
- Support counseling to develop self-advocacy skills
The majority of STEP students are from the greater Los Angeles area. However, any student who qualifies for the program is welcome to apply.
A STEP student may be referred by the Department of Rehabilitation, a family member, a healthcare or blindness professional or a school district.
STEP Mobile Learning Program
STEP Mobile Learning Program brings transition services to students who are blind or visually impaired throughout Central and Southern California including Fresno, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Monterey, Orange, Riverside, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Tulare and Ventura counties.