Transitional Shelter Care Program
Junior Blind recently opened The Cottage, a transitional shelter care program. In collaboration with the Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), The Cottage provides short-term emergency placement to children, ages 0-17, who are in need of safe and temporary shelter due to removal or disruption within their families as a result of abuse, neglect or abandonment.
- Newly renovated, state-of-the-art cottage providing a supportive, therapeutic environment in which trauma is immediately addressed
- 24-hour intake program designed for short term, immediate crisis and case management
- 1:1 to 1:3 staff-to-child ratio, with a capacity to serve up to 26 children at a time
- Ample space for engaging children with a variety of leisure and recreational activities
- Community-based activities to support the development of socialization skills
- On-site nursing services to meet children’s medical needs
- Co-located DCFS staff to ensure the coordination of individualized services, including placement and contingency planning
This unique partnership between Junior Blind and the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services supports a commitment towards safety, permanency and well-being, while also promoting the growth, development and prosperity of children and families.
*Stock image used to protect the identity of our clients.